The Sky X system replace TCP over satellite link with a protocol optimized for the long latency, high loss and asymmetric bandwidth conditions of the typical satellite communication.
Satellites are ideal for providing internet and private network access over long
distance and to remote locations.
Adding the Sky X system to a satellite network allows users to take full
advantage of the available bandwidth.
The Sky X technology transparently enhances the performance of all users on
a satellite network.
Why sky X technology?
Satellite are ideal for providing internet and private network access over a long distance and to remote location.
However the internet protocols are notoptimized for satellite conditions and consequently the throughput over the satellite networks is restricted to only a fraction of available bandwidth.
Thus we need sky x technology to overcome these restrictions and to access maximum bandwidth.
Sky X product increase the performance ofIP over satellite through a combination of protocol connection splitting data compression and web perfecting.
• Sky X products increase the performance ofIP over satellite through a combination of protocol connection-splitting, data compression.
• So it is desirable to design a separate protocol for communication through the satellite to eliminate the disadvantages of using TCP.
• Thus the advantages achieved by TCP inLAN's are no longer effective in the satellite link.
• Sky X Technology Overcome TCP Performance Limitations.
• Even though the TCP is very effective in the local network connected by using cables or optical fibres by using its many features.
• But the satellite conditions adversely interact with a number ofelements of the TCP architecture, including its window sizing, congestion avoidance algorithms, and data acknowledgment mechanisms, which contribute to severely constrict the data throughput that can be achieved over satellite links.
• Xpress Transport Protocol (XTP) is a transport layer protocol for high-speed networks promoted by the XTP Forum developed to replace TCP.
• XTP provides protocol options for error control, flow control, and multicast mode.
• Instead of separate protocols for each type of communication,XTP controls packet exchange patterns to produce different models.
Characteristics of XTP
1. Error control
2. flow Control
3. Byte ordering
4. Multicast mode
5. Selective Re-transmission
6. Multi-packet handshaking
Advantages of XTP
Makes satellite communication come alive.
Web performance go up by 3 times or more.
File transfer speeds go up by 10 to 100 times.
Maximizes throughput such that it exceeds bandwidth.
Example: For a bandwidth of 10 Mbps for a satellite network Sky X provides throughput of 5.8 Mbps for uncompressed data and 15.1 Mbps for compressed data.